By Thomas N. Corns
- An lively and provocative historical past of English literature from 1603-1690.
- Part of the most important Blackwell heritage of English Literature series.
- Locates seventeenth-century English literature in its social and cultural contexts.
- Considers the actual stipulations of literary construction and consumption.
- Looks on the complicated political, non secular, cultural and social pressures on seventeenth-century writers.
- Features shut serious engagement with significant authors and texts
Thomas Corns is a tremendous foreign authority on Milton, the Caroline court docket, and the political literature of the English Civil struggle and the Interregnum.
Read Online or Download A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
Supplying a clean method of the examine of the determine of the diplomat within the early glossy interval, this choice of assorted readings of archival texts, items and contexts contributes a brand new research of the areas, actions and practices of the Renaissance embassy.
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2010 within the topic English Language and Literature reports - Literature, grade: intestine, college of Frankfurt (Main) (Institut für England- und Amerikastudien), path: Early smooth England & Islam 1560-1640, language: English, summary: The “troubles” with Islam in today’s Europe touching on felony and social matters are observed through stereotypical visions of the Islamic global.
Exploring the belief of luxurious when it comes to a chain of neighbouring yet designated suggestions together with avarice, licentiousness, indulgence, power, abundance and waste, this examine combines highbrow and cultural historic the way to hint discontinuities within the conceptual improvement of extravagance in seventeenth-century England.
The Bible used to be, by means of any degree, an important publication in early sleek England. It preoccupied the scholarship of the period, and suffused the idioms of literature and speech. Political rules rode on its interpretation and deployed its phrases. It used to be intricately regarding the undertaking of typical philosophy.
- The Shakespearean Stage Space
- Lasting Impressions: The Legacies of Impressionism in Contemporary Culture (Literature Now)
- Bluestocking Feminism and British-German Cultural Transfer, 1750-1837
- The Haptic Aesthetic in Samuel Beckett’s Drama (New Interpretations of Beckett in the 21st Century)
- Conrad's Secrets
Extra info for A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Thomas N. Corns